Worried about your partner, family or friend?
We can help you to better understand the effects of drug or alcohol use, give you information about the support available to the user, and help you to regain control of your own life. There are answers to some frequently asked questions which may help below.
If someone is in immediate danger dial 999.
How do I know if they are misusing drugs or alcohol?
Why do people use alcohol or drugs?
- Some drugs make people feel like they are having more fun, or make people feel that they need to take drugs in order to have fun. Drugs or alcohol can make people feel more con dent, and they might lose their inhibitions.
- Some people take alcohol or drugs to escape from things in their life, such as a stressful situation. They might feel more able to handle, or forget about, the situation with the drugs or alcohol.
- Some people just try drugs or alcohol out of curiosity, to experiment. For some people this can develop into a regular habit.
- Some people feel pressurised into taking drugs or drinking alcohol by their friends or peers.
- Some people ‘binge’ on drink or drugs every so often, where they take lots of things in one go to have fun or relax.
- Just because someone uses drugs or alcohol, it does not mean they are dependent on them.
Is it my fault?
Are my feelings about this normal?
People cope with these emotions in their own way. Remember we can support you and provide more information on how to cope.